July 23, 2012

The Tragedy Of The Norse Gods

The Tragedy Of The Norse Gods
Ruth J. Pitt
Illustrations by Jacomb-Hood & Brindley
Fisher Unwin, 1813

First impression:
I always find it strange to read Scandinavian literature in English; the tone becomes slightly unconvincing when the roots of the original language are lost. I also get the impression that some spellings have been changed to suit English-speaking readers better (although it may well be that the names I'm used to have been equally Swedified). Nevertheless, it's quite an easy read and an interesting look into Scandinavian mythology.

Review:
In the end I really enjoyed this book and devoured it by means of long, enjoyable stretches. As I love both folklore and traditional storytelling I found it easy on the eye (it didn't send me to sleep as books often do). Another great thing was that all the stories circled around the last, climactic chapter, which meant that there was a constant build-up of suspense and no room for boredom. I couldn't quite get used to the language, but for a book of that age I can't really hold it against it.

Rating: Impressive

No comments:

Post a Comment