April 28, 2011

All My Friends Are Superheroes

All My Friends Are Superheroes
Andrew Kaufman
Telegram, 2010

First impression:
I can tell that I will like this one because it's brief in a good way and doesn't faff about just to use up paper. The style is slightly reminiscent of Kurt Vonnegut, simple and sentimental, but it occasionally feels a bit forced. My main concern however is that I wish some of the superheroes would have wittier names.

Review:
Though not life-changing, I must admit I fell a little bit in love with this one. It contained a number of very astute observations and charming metaphors which, although quite transparent, in their modesty did not annoy me. I liked the idealist images, the way reality was twisted, the melancholy of the characters. I did not so much like the added miniscule details, and I had hoped it would be slightly funnier. But I won't complain; this is definitely one of the better books I have encountered, and I do want to read The Waterproof Bible.

Rating: Impressive

No comments:

Post a Comment