June 03, 2012

American Gods

American Gods
Neil Gaiman
Headline Books, 2002

First impression:
As much as I want to like Neil Gaiman, there is something about the dramaticness and the cinematicity of his style that bothers me slightly. This could be a very good story, but I think it might be a bit too mainstream for my liking. I am concerned with the fact that the main character is an ex-con and I don't think Gaiman has ever been to prison. I'm sorry. We'll see. Review: Being my first piece of fiction in a good while I had a hard time adjusting to the fact that one person invented the whole thing. Though an easy read, it took me a long time to finish, first due to motivation and second due to its impressive length. As I've mentioned before Gaiman has a very cinematic style, which I'm sure enthralls some readers, but for me breaks the fourth wall a little, as I imagine it better played out on screen. In the end I liked the story and the characters, though. It's by no means the most exciting thing I've read, I can see why a lot of people like it and I don't blame them for that. I do however hold on to the idea that it's a bit mainstream for me. Rating: Good

No comments:

Post a Comment