June 03, 2012

Timequake

Timequake
Kurt Vonnegut
Vintage Books, 1998

First impression:
So far I've been slightly disappointed with this Vonnegut's most autobiographical piece of work. As he points out in the beginning, it consists mainly of shrapnel of a much bigger book that his agent thought to be too indulgent-- and perhaps (s)he was right. I love Vonnegut's mind, but I think he might have been a bit too lenient on narrative coherence for this one. The idea of the Timequake I quite enjoy however.

Review:
Again, I felt that a plotline was lacking, and that the present traces of one didn't quite make the cut. Though I am in love with many of Vonnegut's observations, I must also admit that I picked up on a streak hitherto unknown to me, of some form of social/intellectual elitism. This made me a little uncomfortable as I've always perceived the author as quite humble and, well, nice. I would like to give it a better rating because it made me think about a few things, but on the other hand, so did the Hunger Games.


Rating: Decent

No comments:

Post a Comment