June 07, 2011

The Beach

The Beach
Alex Garland
Penguin Books, 1996

First impression:
Having seen the film first, I got the instant impression that the two don't seem that far apart. About half-way through the book now, I'm suspecting this is because most of the events are not plot-driving, and so if some were to be missed out, it wouldn't make a big difference. I am enjoying the read, though, and though I can't remember the ending, I have a hunch it's going to be good.

Review:
Although for the first half of the story I kept trying to remember what the film looked like, I've been able to appreciate the book in its own right. I liked the style of writing, especially the dreamy passages. Even though, as I mentioned, it was not heavily plot-based, I was never bored and there was a leisurely mesmerising effect to it. I imagine it would have made a greater impact if I was entirely new to it, but nevertheless it proved to be (ironically) quite a good holiday read.

Rating: Impressive

No comments:

Post a Comment