July 01, 2011

Under The Skin

Under The Skin
Michel Faber
Canongate Books, 2010

First impression:
I highly trust the taste of the person who recommended this to me, but I was still torn by the mere sight of the cover. It does resemble trash, even though I'm sure that doesn't mean it's all bad. I've got about halfway through it fairly quickly and even though I'm annoyed at knowing less than the narrator, it does keep the pages turning.

Review:
Even though I didn't particularly like the style of writing, I acknowledge that the idea is a good one, and I thought the ending with its intentional ambiguity lifted much of the book. There were certain words, too, that I enjoyed the twists on, but I feel that this could have been more developed. I didn't like being strung along for most of the first half, effective though it was to pull me in, and found much of the second half a bit too open in contrast. But as mentioned, the book did tickle the mind at times and though it is not a new favourite, I don't consider it a waste of anyone's time.

Rating: Good

No comments:

Post a Comment