August 02, 2011

The Five People You Meet In Heaven

The Five People You Meet In Heaven
Mitch Albom
Timewarner Paperbacks, 2004

First impression:
I didn't like Tuesdays With Morrie very much, mainly because of its exaggerated sympathy. Unfortunately this seems to be one of Albom's signifying traits, but at least this story is fictional and therefore doesn't have the same meek ring to it. More readable, and, I would say, more interesting because of its surreal features.

Review:
In the end, I'm not much of an audience for this type of literature. The only thing I can think of when reading is how it's trying to be Vonnegutian and failing miserably. And I will instantly contradict myself by saying that I think it's too American. The melodrama, for the most part, doesn't touch me, and the book doesn't leave me with much of an afterthought. As far as bestsellers go, it's not below standard, but I don't like the author pressing the interpretation of the story into my palm and I think that's why I wasn't able to enjoy it more than by the satisfaction that I can now pass it on to someone who will like it better.

Rating: Decent

No comments:

Post a Comment