December 30, 2011

Eating Animals

Eating Animals
Jonathan Safran Foer
Back Bay Books, 2010

First impression:
I really liked Everything Is Illuminated and enjoy Foer's writing style in general; he has this ability to turn anything into a good story, and also he likes indexing things, just like me. So far I'm enjoying the book, finding it quite compelling, but as I'm getting towards the middle it's becoming a little too statistic-y, like these sorts of books tend to, but I haven't lost hope.

Sad update:
Ironically, I didn't lose hope; I lost the book. As in, I misplaced it in a public place. It's gone. I really liked it, so I will get a new one at some point. But not right now. Sad times.

Review:
So I re-bought the book, I liked it that much. Then again, there is of course the element of preaching to the convinced; we all like to be told that we're doing the right thing, and so with me being a vegetarian, I didn't feel like this book really changed anything in my hands, and the kind of people who I think should read it naturally aren't interested. As I mentioned in the first impression, I thought the first half of the book was very strong, but it started straying a bit towards the end, and eventually became a little too sentimentalised. It did however serve as a great source of knowledge and I would encourage anyone who does eat meat (and/or fish) to read it.

Rating: Impressive

No comments:

Post a Comment