January 02, 2012

The Intimate Adventures Of A London Call Girl

The Intimate Adventures Of A London Call Girl
Belle De Jour
Phoenix Books, 2007

First impression:
Second review of this book (are there any rules on this blog?). Bell lent me this book, and I wasm both curious and suspicious. Can a girl with this profession be a good writer? However, after a couple of pages I confess she is a lot better than many well known authors, although she might not win the Nobel prize. My current concern is whether the story will actually lead somewhere, or just be telling what's up with her at the moment.

Review:
Few books are finished in so little time (about 24h). The language was good, but I agree with Bell that it could have been filthier. The biggest disappointment was that my suspicion about the story not actually leading anywhere. It was just abstracts from a diary. I also missed deeper reflection on several topics - it seemed that the prostitution didn't affect the call girl at all. 'Just sex' got a whole new meaning to me, there was no deeper discussion, no turning point, no catharsis... However, it was a pleasant read, getting a look into someone else's world, no strings attached.

Rating: Decent

No comments:

Post a Comment